Prof. Shaji T L
Office Phone: +91-471-2515 571
Academician with 34 years of teaching and professional experience in Architecture. Holds B.Arch with first class from Dept of Architecture, College of Engineering Trivandrum and PG Degree in Master of Technology (Building Technology and Management) from Indian Institute of Technology, Madras. After graduation worked with the Department of Telecommunication, Govt. of India in their Architect’s Office at Trivandrum for five years. Took charge as Lecturer in the Dept. of Architecture,College of Engineering Trivandrum, in November 1989 and continued as Professor till February 2016 in CET and served as Director (Academic) in APJ Abdul Kalam Technological University, Trivandrum on deputation from 2016 to 2018 February. Re -joined in CET as Professor with additional charge as Dean (UG Studies) since April 2018.
- B. Arch (University of Kerala, 1984)
- M.Tech (IIT Madras, 1994)
- Entered in Government of India service as Architectural Assistant in the Dept.of Telecommunications in 1984.
- Entered in Kerala Government service as Lecturer in Architecture in 1989.
- Promoted as Assistant Professor in Architecture in 1998.
- Promoted as Professor in Architecture in 2009.
- Head of the Department of Architecture 2012-14.
- Deputation to APJ Abdul Kalam Technological University As Director-Academic 2016-18.
- Assume charge as UG Dean, College of Engineering, Trivandrum in April 2018
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL BODIES
- Registered with Council of Architecture, India
- Fellow of Indian Institute of Architects.
- Life Member of Acoustical Society of India.
- Life Member of Indian Society for Technical Education.
- Fellow of Indian Institute of Valuers.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
- Recipient of Best Teacher Award (CET_ISTE Research award 2007-08).
- Recipient of Best member award for the out standing contributions to Indian Institute of Architects, Kerala chapter in 2004.
- Recipient of the Professional Excellence award in the field of architecture by Designer Publications, Kerala in 2008.
1. ‘Ribbed Ferro cement Elements for Low Cost Housing’ Journal of Ferro cement, Vol24, No1, Jan.1994, pp35-49.
2. ‘Ultrasonic Pulse Velocity Technique for Inspection and Evaluation of Timber’ Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering (American Society of Civil Engineers) No 2. Vol.12 May 2000, pp 180-185.
3.’Ultrasonic testing of structural timber components’, chapter contributed in ‘Inspection and Monitoring Techniques for Bridges and Civil Structures’, edited by Prof. Gongkang Fu, Wyne State University, Detroit, USA, Woodhead publishers, London (Published in September 2005)
- ’Renovation of Historic and Monumental Structures built with Mud and Wood’ presented at International conference on Rehabilitation, Renovation, and Repair of Structures 1994, Andhra University, A.P 9-11 Jan 1994.
- ‘Conservation of Historic Fort – Thiruvananthapuram’, presented at International workshop on Architectural and Urban Conservation at Calcutta, 16-18 Dec-1994
- ‘Evaluation of Structural Timber in Historic Buildings using NDT techniques, presented at 14th World Conference on NDT, 1996, Dec 8-13, New Delhi.
- ’ Ultrasonic Pulse Velocity Technique for Inspection and Evaluation of Timber in Historic Buildings’, contributed paper in the International Conference on Ultrasonic, 1999, Dec 2-4 New Delhi.
- ‘Strategies for Sustainable Tourism Habitat Development at Varkala’, presented at the International Seminar on ‘Eco-Tourism’ in the Global Eco-meet conducted by Swedesi Science Movement at Trivandrum, 19-28 Feb 2005.
- ‘Natural House’ presented at the International Seminar on ‘Eco-Friendly Habitat’ in the Global Eco-meet conducted by Swedesi Science Movement at Trivandrum,19-28 Feb 2005.
- ‘Sustainable Tourism Habitat Development at Varkala’ presented at GREEN- international Conference on Sustainable Architecture- organised by Indian Institute of Architects, Trivandrum Centre at Trivandrum , 9-11 Jan 2009.
- ’Sustainable Construction using Discarded Pet Bottles’ presented at international conference on Advances in Materials Mechanics and Management organized by College of Engineering Trivandrum, 14-16 Jan 2010
- ‘Transit Oriented Development for Kochi master plan Area’ presented at international conference on Technological Trends’ organized by College of Engineering Trivandrum, 25-27 Nov 2010.
- ‘Inspection and Restoration of Timber in Historic Buildings’ presented at Congress of Traditional Sciences and Technologies in India at IIT, Bombay 28 Nov-3 Dec1993.
- ‘Deterioration and Evaluation of Timber in Historic Buildings’ presented at the workshop on Traditional Construction Materials, AICTE project on Technology of New Building Materials, REC, Calicut 24Nov.1994.
- ‘Cost Effectiveness in Building through Planning and Management’ presented at Symposium on Cost –effective Housing organized by Institution of Engineers, Trivandrum, 29 Jan 1994.
- ‘Conservation of Timber elements in Traditional Buildings’, presented at workshop on Traditional Architecture, organized by Vasthuvidhya Pradisthanam, at Trivandrum25-26 March 1995.
- ‘Sustainable Tourism habitat- A Case study’, presented at the National Seminar on Sustainable Habitat at TKM College of engineering, Kollam, on 22-23 Aug 2003.
- ’Noise Disaster in Built Environment’ presented at the short term training programme on Disaster Mitigation, Preparedness and Management organized by Dept of Architecture, College of Engineering, Trivandrum 4-15 Oct 2004.
- ‘Strategies For Sustainable Tourism Habitat Development at Varkala’, presented at the National Seminar on ‘Recent trends in Technological Advancement’ at College of Engineering, Trivandrum on 26-27 Nov 2004.
- ‘Evaluation of the Resettlement& Rehabilitation of Displaced Due to Development Projects in Kerala’ presented at the 6th National Conference on Technological Trends at College of Engineering, Trivandrum on 25-26 Nov 2005.
- Post Occupancy Evaluation of Cost Effective Houses, presented at the 8th National Conference on Technological Trends at College of Engineering, Trivandrum, 30th Nov-1st Dec 2007.
- ‘Vasthuvidyayile Sabdha Sastram (Architectural Acoustics)” Published in Malayalam Magazine Designer +Builder, March 2007 issue.
- Spatial Impact Assessment of Knowledge base Industries in Thiruvananthapuram presented ar the 13th National Conference on Technological trends at College of Engineering, Trivandrum 10-11 Aug 2012.
- Formulating the Development Strategies for Urban Settlements in the Hill Regions of Kerala –With Wynad as Case Study presented at 14th National Conference on Technological Trends at College of Engineering, Trivandrum 29-30 August 2013.
- Architectural Design
- Architectural Acoustics.
- Theory and Methodology of Architectural Design.
- Conservation of Timber.
- Cost effective acoustic materials.
- Acoustic evaluation and correction of Human activity spaces.
- Guided 17 Post Graduate Thesis.
- Member of Syllabus revision Committee 2003.
- Member of Dept. Academic committee.
- Principal Investigator of AICTE sponsored TAPTEC project Building Acoustics Laboratory (15 lakhs).
- Acoustics lab-in Charge (2000-2006)
- Architectural Graphics Lab-in Charge.(2001-2004)
- Examiner –in various Universities ( Kerala University, Calicut University, NIT Calicut, MIT Manipal)
- Member of Board of Studies (P G), University of Kerala (2005-2008)
- PG course Coordinator.(2009-12)
- Head of the Department (2012 to2014)
- Coordinator of MODROB Project-Up gradation of Building Science Lab-(2012).
- Member of P G-Syllabus revision Steering Committee (2012).
- Coordinator of MODROB Project-Up gradation of Architectural Graphics Lab-(2013).
- Member of Board of Studies (Architecture) Calicut University (2011-2013 & 2013-2015).
- Member of the PSC Committee for recruitment reforms in Technical Education.
- Member of Academic Council SPA Bhopal (2012-2015).
- Member of All India Board of Architecture, AICTCE, New Delhi (2013-2016).
- Member Board of Studies Kerala university(2013-16)
- Member of ASAP Business Advisory Committee(2012-16)
- Member Academic Council CUSAT (2015-2018).
- Member Board of Studies and Faculty of Architecture, CUSAT(2014-18).
- Member of AICTE Regional Committee (South Western Region), New Delhi (2013-2016).
RESPONSIBILITIE S OTHER THAN ACADEMICS.
- Secretary, College of Engineering Trivandrum Alumni Association for Three Terms (1998-2001).
- General Co-ordinator for College Diamond Jubilee Celebrations (1999-2000).
- Secretary, Indian Institute of Architects, Trivandrum Center (2000-2002).
- IIA State Executive Member and Chairman of Architectural Education committee(2002-2004).
- Technical Committee Member for Coir Development.
- Advisor of Kerala Police Welfare Society for the Renovation of Chandrasekharan Nair Stadium(2004-05).
- Architect of the TEQIP Project (Computer Science Dept.,College of Engg. Trivandrum).
- Member of Building Committee of TEQIP.
- Co-ordinator of the College office Modernization Works.
- Convener of the Eco-Friendly Habitat theme of the Global Eco meet( 2005).
- Co-ordinator of Department Purchases(2000-2007).
- Co-ordinator for Council of Architecture Visit-(2006).
- Staff Co-ordinator for the Zonal Convention of the Students of Architecture organized by the Department of Architecture 13-15 August 2006.
- Co-ordinator (Generala arrangments) for the Inspection of AICTE team for Acredition-(2007).
- Vice Chairman, Indian Institute of Architects, Trivandrum Center (2006-2008).
- Nodal Officer of TEQIP Evaluation Committee.
- Coordinator for College campus development activities.
- Organising Committee member -70th year celebrations of CET.
- Organising Committee member –IMMM2010.
- Organising Committee member – CETEX2010.
- Organising Committee member – ICTT2010.
- Member Asset maintenance Committee CET-(2011).
- Technical Committee Member for Travancore Devosam Board.
- Technical Committee Member for Institute of Management Kerala.
- Technical Committee Member for selection of consultants for KSEB for Palarivattom Office Complex.
- Technical Committee Member for Techno City Projects (2012).
- Technical Committee Member for Kerala State Housing Board(2012).
- Secretary College of Engineering Trivandrum Alumni Association (CETAA) (2010-11).
- Executive Committee Member (from academic sector) of IIA Kerala Chapter (2011-13).
- Co-ordinator Center for Campus Development and Management, College of Engineering Trivandrum-2012 onwards.
- Technical Committee Member for IIITM, Trivandrum.
- Technical Committee Member for Central University, Kasargod.
- Technical Committee Member for Games Village of 35th National Games.
- Member of the PSC Committee for recruitment of Faculty in Architecture.
- AICTE Expert for Standing Appellate Committee and Institution Inspection.
- Expert Committee Member for revision of fees of Self Financing B.Arch courses constituted by Higher Education Dept. Govt. of Kerala.
- Organizing Secretary, Platinum Jubilee Celebrations of CET-(2014-15)
- Chairman IIA Trivandrum Centre(2015-17)
ARCHITECTURAL CONSULTANCY PROJECTS
- Design team member of LBS College of Engineering ,Kasaragod
- Design team member of RIT Kottayam.
- Various works for Hindustan Latex Ltd , Trivandrum
- IHRD College of Engineering, Cherthala.
- IHRD Technical School at Perunthalmanna.
- IHRD College of Engineering,Poonjar
- IHRD Technical School at Mallappally
- IHRD College of Engineering,Kalloppara
- Sishak Sadan at Malappuram
- Sishak Sadan at Palghat
- Sishak Sadan at Trivandrum.
- VHSE &HSE Directorate, Trivandrum.
- Norka Center, Trivandrum.
- IIRBS, MG University Campus, Kottayam.
- AICTE Kerala State Office, Trivandrum
- LaBISHaS Campus, Trivandrum
ACOUSTICS CONSULTANCY PROJECTS
- Acoustical design of the Rajiv Gandhi Center for Biotechnology auditorium, Trivandrum.
- Acoustical design of Proposed Tagore Cultural Complex, Trivandrum
- Acoustical correction of auditorium at Medical College, Trivandrum.
- Evaluation of acoustics of Police Training College auditorium.
- Acoustical correction and Interior Design of CETAA Hall, College of Engg, Trivandrum
- Acoustical Design of Diamond Jubilee Convention Center, College of Engg. Trivandrum.